“I used to think Manny Scott was the best speaker I had ever heard in my 46 years in education—and I still do. But I believe, after hearing him teach [my administrators and teachers] today, that his strongest suit is that of lecturing and teaching and interacting with an audience. ... He puts it in a way that is easy to understand. Plus, he brings great credibility to it because of his background.”
Dr. Keith Ballard
Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at Oklahoma University
How Can You Reach Your Underperforming Students?
You and your teachers have to regularly interact with diverse groups of students who need to be reached. Some of them don't think school is important, and are thinking about dropping out. Also, several of your students have had several adverse childhood experiences, and they are hurting, traumatized, and feel lost, which makes it nearly impossible for them to focus in class. Furthermore, several of your teachers have different cultural backgrounds from your students, which, if not attended to, can create distance, misunderstanding; and, can hinder learning.
If you and your staff do not reach them, what is going to happen to them? Where are they going to end up? What mistakes or blunders might they make if they drop out of school? What tragedies might take place if you or your school staff do not reach them?
In How to R.E.A.C.H. Youth Today, Manny equips you and your school employees how to
- Develop the awareness, understandings, and skills necessary to reach, teach, and empower even the most underperforming students in effective and appropriate ways.
- Capture and keep the full attention of your students.
- Make your students feel heard and empowered to succeed in school, work, and life.
What is R.E.A.C.H.?
REACH is a proven, data-informed approach to help you and your staff reach the students in your school.
R stands for RELATIONSHIPS. Relationships are the foundation upon which all education stands. All goals for growth in education must pass through the door of relationships. Relationships are the floor, the window, and the door of education. I teach your staff several proven, practical ways to cultivate healthy, life-changing relationships with students.
E stands for ENGAGEMENT. Students can’t learn or grow if they are bored. So you and your teachers must engage them in unexpected, positive, innovative ways. Using data and research,and real-life examples, I teach your staff how to capture and keep the attention of individuals and groups of students.
A stands for AWARENESS. Underperforming students do not change because you want them to change. Ultimately, students change when they become painfully aware of some imbalance in their lives or powerfully inspired by new possibilities. Your staff will learn several research-based techniques that help disequilibrate even the most challenging students and help them become aware of their need to change.
C stands for CONVINCE. Only after your students become painfully aware of some imbalance in their lives, or powerfully inspired by some new possibility, can you convince them that education can unlock the doors to their brighter tomorrows. Your staff will learn effective strategies to help your students see the importance of education, and convince them to take school more seriously.
H stands for HAND. Neither you nor your staff can force underperforming students to change their lives. All you or your teachers can do is put yourselves in position to help underperforming, traumatized, hurting student to heal; and, as they heal, you must empower them to make decisions to change their own lives. Your teachers will learn over twenty ways to help students turn the page to begin writing (working toward) new, more fulfilling chapters in their lives.
Your Staff Will Learn:
- How to incorporate Social-Emotional Learning in the classroom.
- How to facilitate deep learning for students.
- How create a classroom culture and climate so students will learn.
- How to build relationships with students so that they feel their dignity as human beings is affirmed, which will help them flourish.
- How to develop the awareness of their own cultural conditioning and linguistic-particularities so they can reduce the distance between themselves and their students, which will allow them to teach more effectively.
- How to become a better student of your students so students feel understood and respected.
- What equity looks like in the classroom.
- How to become a culturally-responsive teacher.
- How to earn the trust of even the most distant student.
- How to persuade students to take education seriously.
- So much more...
Keynote, 1/2 Day or Full Day
The most important parts of this content can be summarized in a 60-90 minute keynote address or it can be taught in 1/2 day or full day sessions.
- RELATIONSHIPS: The Road to Real Relationships
- ENGAGEMENT: How to Capture and Keep the Attention of Your Students
- AWARENESS: How to help your students become aware of their need to make positive changes in their lives, friends, and environments.
- CONVINCE: How to persuade your students to value their educations.
- HAND: How to extend your hand and empower students to succeed in school and graduate prepared for work and life.